Saturday 3 October 2009

My ‘Boom’ – Ironware

I know I know...it's rusting a bit. sigh... ちょっと錆びてますね、、、。うう、、、。


At home, frying pans, kitchen knives and other pans all used to be made of cast-iron.

The family sat around the table and attended thinly sliced beef in the sukiyaki pan. Meats easily burned when the iron plate was heated to its maximum temperature. My parents hurriedly served us cooked beef in each of our bowls, which contained beaten raw egg. I would patiently wait until the vegetables were done, while my siblings enjoyed medium cooked beef dipped in raw egg. I was not overly fond of raw eggs so there were always some beef slices left on the sukiyaki pan for me. My mother threw in plenty of fresh garlands of chrysanthemum leaves followed by leeks, tofu, strings of konnyaku (a gelatinous food made from “devil’s tongue” starch) and various mushrooms. She poured soy sauce in the pan and sprinkled brown sugar over the ingredients. When the juice from the vegetables met the sizzling sauce, it would fill the entire room with a salty-sweet smell.

My father, beer glass in hand, put more sliced beef in the heated sauce on the opposite side of the konnyaku. My mother, sitting next to him, would say, ‘meat and konnyaku should not be next to each other, as my mother (my grandmother) used to say’. I did not understand the reasoning at the time, but nodded obediently.

After the meal, my mother wiped the pan with an old newspaper, washed it with hot water without using detergent, heated it up, oiled it, and placed it back in the cupboard. Sharpening kitchen knives on a whetstone was my father’s favourite job. I loved watching his movements and the dull scraping sound created between an iron blade and a whetstone.

When I left home to study at university, the first item I bought was a non-stick frying pan. Teflon is an amazing invention, I thought. You do not have to stand beside the stove all the time because it does not burn easily. You can use the same pan for stewing vegetables. No need to worry about the rust, and cleaning is as easy as other dishes. Non-stick frying pans became an essential part of my kitchenware over the years.

It was only the last few years I returned to ironware. Now I have a cast iron kettle and frying pan, and a carbon steel knife, and am currently searching online for the best iron wok. You need to bathe the kettle with old green tea leaves every now and then and the knife requires regular attention in order that it not rust away. All the efforts involved in owning ironware, however, are easily outweighed by the benefits - when you taste green tea with mild hot water boiled in a cast iron kettle, experience the consistency of cabbage cut so finely with the carbon steel knife, and flip a fluffy pancake baked on a heated iron pan. They are out of this world.

Back at my parents’ place, my mother is shifting to lighter material utensils because ironware is too heavy for her to lift.


マイブーム - 鉄器


実家で使用していた、フライパン、各種包丁、鍋などは全て鉄製のものでした。

家族が揃って鉄製のすき焼き鍋を囲み、手始めに薄切りの牛肉をつつき始めます。鉄底が熱くなり、すぐにお肉がじゅうじゅうと良い音を立てて焼け始めます。両親は、お肉が鉄底に焦げ付く前に、我々子供たちの前の卵を溶いたお椀に次々と放り込みます。兄と妹が、卵をからめた熱々の牛肉をほおばっている中、生卵の得意でない私は、たいてい我慢してじっとお肉が野菜と一緒に焼き上がるのを待っていたものでした。母が山盛りの春菊を鍋に投入し、長ネギ、豆腐、糸こんにゃく、いろいろな茸類が後に続きます。その上から、お醤油をさっとひと入れし、黒砂糖を降りかけます。野菜から出てくる水分と、調味料があいまってぐつぐつと煮えはじめ、部屋中に甘辛いにおいが充満します。

父はビール片手に、糸こんにゃくの反対側の位置にお肉を入れていきます。隣に座った母は、「お肉とこんにゃくは、決して隣り合わせで煮てはいけないっておばあちゃんがいつも言っていたのよ。」と言います。当時の私には、その理由はさっぱり分からなかったのですが、神妙にうなづいてみせました。

晩御飯後、母はまずすき焼き鍋を古新聞で拭き、洗剤を使わずにお湯だけで洗い流し、その後数分火にかけ、さっと油をひいて戸棚に戻します。包丁を研ぐのは、父の仕事でした。幼い私は、父親の包丁を研ぐ姿を見るのが大好きでした。包丁の刃とぬれた砥石がこすりあう時に、じょりじょりと鈍い音を立てるのを聞きながら、隣でいつまでも見ていたものでした。

大学進学に際して家を出た時に、私が最初に買ったものはテフロン製のくっつかないフライパンでした。テフロンの発明はすごい!とひたすら感動しました。調理中に少し目を離しても焦げ付くことは無いし、同じフライパンを煮込み料理にも使うことが出来ます。錆を心配することもなく、洗う時の手間は他の食器類と何ら変わりがありません。その後、テフロン製品は私の調理器具の中で欠かせないものとなりました。

私が鉄製品に再び興味を示し始めたのは、ほんの数年前からのことです。現在、お湯を沸かす鉄瓶をひとつ、小さめのフライパンをひとつ、包丁を1本所有しており、目下使い勝手の良い中華鍋をオンラインで探しているところです。鉄瓶は、年に数回古い茶葉を煮たてて、側面を茶葉で拭いてあげる、鉄包丁は錆ついてしまわないように毎回の取扱いに注意する、などといった面倒くさい手入れが伴います。しかし、このような手間も、鉄瓶で沸かしたまろやかなお湯で作った緑茶を飲む時、キャベツの千切りが一定の細さで驚くように早く出来た時、熱く焼けた鉄の上で、ふわふわのパンケーキをひっくり返す時に、すっかりふっとんでしまいます。何とも形容しがたい、器の技です。

このところ実家の母は、鉄製の調理器具は重すぎて持ち上げるのが大変になってきたと言って、軽めの鍋に鞍替え中です。

No comments: